17.05.2024, 09:01 UTC+2

Sie sind nicht angemeldet.

• Anmelden
  • Registrieren

16.01.2014, 22:20

Oshawa Generals still sputtering

Oshawa Generals still sputtering
Captain Boone Jenner missed Sunday's game after being hit high and into the boards Saturday against Brampton. Gary Agnew said Sunday he didn't think the injury was serious or concussion related and hopes to have him back in time for Friday's game in Ottawa . Cole Cassels was ejected 1:58 into Sunday's game after being assessed a charging major against Petes goalie Mike Morrison. It appeared Cassels was pushed just prior to bowling over Morrison . The Generals killed off the major penalty as well as three others in the game and all 12 opposition power plays on the weekend . Kevin Bailie started all three games, allowing seven goals on 103 shots . Christian Thomas and Nicklas Jensen both scored their 20th goals of the season in Saturday's loss to Brampton . Matt Petgrave scored the lone goal in Kingston Friday, a game decided by Frontenacs captain and former General Cody Alcock in overtime . Scott Laughton will suit up for Team Cherry at the CHL/NHL Top Prospects Game Wednesday in Kelowna .
And that includes his players, who found out quickly enough he was in fact most displeased with the weekend as a whole, which also included a 2 1 overtime loss in Kingston Friday and a 3 2 regulation loss at home to Brampton Saturday.
It seems any amount of celebrating that may have been taking place in the dressing room afterward was quickly doused by Agnew.
"It wasn't a good weekend, we know that," he said succinctly. "We can't play .500 on weekends. When you finish with a win, you feel a little better about yourself, but then the coach comes in and kind of urinates on the players' parade, because it's not good. It's not enough for us to get where we need to be."
It was good enough for the Generals to move two points ahead of the Belleville Bulls for the eighth and final playoff spot in the OHL's Eastern Conference, but the slumping Bulls still have two games in hand on Oshawa. It also moved the Generals just a single point back of both the Petes and Mississauga Majors.
But, having been here for nearly three full months now and still not seeing the talented team take off they've gone from two games below .500 on Nov. 6 to exactly .500 Sunday Agnew wants more.
"I thought last week Barrie (a 3 0 win) was the game we were going to come out of it and looking ahead to Kingston and two home games, thinking, jeez, the way we played against Barrie, we could get five out of six next weekend and now we're rolling, but it's not going to be that way for us, I don't think," said Agnew.
"I think we're a team right now that's just going to have to work for everything we get and make sure we're clawing and scratching for points,Cheap Nike Eagles Jerseys China Wholesale For 2013," he said. "I don't think there's going to be an easy road for us."
The players clearly understood the importance of Sunday's game, at least, and especially the third period, when they turned a tight 2 1 game into a 5 1 lead with three nifty goals, two of them by Emerson Clark.
Clark's first goal, the back breaker, came after a nice behind the back pass from John Urbanic, who earned his first OHL point in his 12th game.
"It was a great finish by Clarkie there, and great to get that one behind me," said Urbanic,Panthers nike jerseys cheap, a 16 year old from Kansas whose father, also named John, played in the OHL some 25 years earlier.
"Big win, big win," Urbanic added. "We definitely needed that one to come out of the weekend with three points. It's good to get us back on track for the playoff run."
Scott Laughton also scored twice in the game, while Christian Thomas had a goal and two assists. The two, who have meshed well since paired together, hooked up for the team's first power play goal in 18 attempts late in the second period, snapping a 1 1 tie.
"I think we just have to get our power play going a bit more and we'll start climbing the standings rapidly," said Thomas, who set up Laughton for a one timer after blazing down the right side. "Our team's been very inconsistent obviously, but we're starting to turn it on."

Thema bewerten