19.05.2024, 02:09 UTC+2

Sie sind nicht angemeldet.

• Anmelden
  • Registrieren

17.01.2014, 02:17

How the mighty have fallen

How the mighty have fallen
I am boycotting Super Bowl XLVI.
Upon calm reflection, that statement is most likely a hot headed lie. After all, the Super Bowl is not just any game between two considerably talented opponents; it's the culmination of a season of saturated media coverage, intense fanaticism and cutthroat competition. Deep down I know I won't be able to stay away from something that alluring.
Nobody can deny the power of the Pack. The numbers were there all season. Aaron Rodger's 122.5 passer rating is the highest a quarterback has ever posted,cheap nfl jerseys Eagles nike, period; better yet, he posted a 131.4 against the blitz. The 15 1 record was the best in the NFL not just this year, but for the past four years (the Patriots' went a perfect 16 0 in 2007 before meeting a similarly jarring fate). Despite a defensive line continually questioned by skeptics, the Packers (along with, of all dark horses,Cheap Nike Eagles Jerseys China Wholesale For 2013, the 49ers) still topped the league in takeaways, with 38.
It wasn't a shaky defense that sealed the Packers' fate, but the lethal offense. The same Rodgers with the impressive blitz rating took four sacks and no longer looked calculated and in control. Three fumbles and six drops rendered talented receivers like Greg Jennings, Jordy Nelson and Jermichael Finely completely useless. And Mike McCarthy made some costly risks in a game he should have played safe (don't get me started on that failed onside kick).
It's time to face cold, hard facts: the numbers from the final game tell a radically different story than those from the regular season. With its performance against the Giants, the Pack didn't deserve salvation.
But this wasn't the way the season was supposed to end. The fans that crowded the stands in Lambeau Field weren't supposed to boo their home team off the field at halftime, and the stadium shouldn't have been silent as the clock ran out. When the players returned to Lambeau last Monday, it should have been to watch game film, not to clean out their lockers.
Maybe the Pack got too complacent this year; maybe everyone got too used to winning. Last year the team earned the Lombardi trophy by fighting for every win. This year, with the No. 1 seed and the home field stretch, it felt too secure in its own destiny. There wasn't anything for the Packers to prove. What, win two Super Bowls in a row? Been there, done that.
You could make the case that this year's team was too good for the rest of the league. But I think that it was actually too good for itself. The Packers kept their eyes on the ultimate prize; they were so focused on the end goal that they tripped up trying to get there.
I truly believe football is a tale of fight. It has to be, with so much visceral violence unfolding on the field. Every player battles a physical fight as well as a mental one. The Packers, however subconsciously, thought they were too good for the physical fight, and so they lost the mental one.Re;ated Articles:

http://www.ctd-linz.com/forum/thread.php?threadid=108566

http://grandfantasia.detrust.de/wbb/inde…&threadID=81468

Thema bewerten